Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Assam silk saree

The arrival of the long awaited Assam silk, the typical dull gold Assam munga with gold thread work and a hint of red made my heart sing.It came last afternoon,a big white parcel, packed most meticulously, even unpacking it was a herculean task, or was it my excitement that made it so? i really dont know. It was beautiful in every possible way.
A little history on the purchase of this saree. I went on a sojourn to upper Assam last October. Even before I could begin on this trip, I had decided that I will not get tempted to make any purchases there. Keeping my promise to myself, i didnot visit a single saree shop during the six days that I spent there. We traveled extensively through Digboi, Shib sagor, Tezpur and Tinsukhia, passing by lush green tea gardens of Dibrugarh on the way. I was most facinated by visiting the ruins of the Ahom kingdoms, none of which were described in our Indian history books that I had devoured as a student since I was a great lover history anyway. The Jia Bhoreli river took my heart away, saw it from Bhalukpung and later moved towards the Eco Park and saw the river with high banks, more powerful. its amazing how the same river can look alluring and calm at one end and so much more virulent in another part. The Kaziranga trip was the most hilarious of the lot, we could only travel the outskirts of the sanctuary, but he kind of fun I had on the elephant back would require one entire blog to describe. Tezpur and its parks were fascinating. In short I came back with a love for Assam, its people and its rich history and culture that I had never ever felt earlier. On my way to the airport at Dibrugarh, I gingerly made a request to my companion if he could get me a traditional saree and post it to me back home. He did answer in the affirmative, but I was not sure if he really meant it. Back home, I got a shouting from my mom and good friends for not having invested in saree from there. I had almost lost all hopes of the saree when it finally came and thus this tremendous excitement.
This saree encompasses the 6 days of absolute delight that I had traversing the most beautiful parts of Assam. It carries within its folds a lot of fond memories that will always be a part of my life.

3 comments:

spicymist said...

isn't it all the more exciting , when something long forgotten but desired suddenly appears before you eyes? it had happened to me a while back. i had just seen an exquisite animal showpiece at darjeeling and had mentioned it to the friend i had made there that i loved it, and on my last birthday, she mailed me that same giraffe statuette and i was so happy!! the way you described assam, i am so going to go there this summer

Dev said...

Jolly...amazing...you know what to date I belive Assamese silk saree gives elegance and sophisticacy to a woman :). I hope you liked your purchase...

Jolly said...

thanks for ur comment Devankur, I am more than happy with my buy...