Thursday, July 17, 2008

Russet Dawn

Every morning brings in fresh hopes, renewed vigor and a blissful state of negating all bitterness, I prefer to get rid of memories that may have left a bad taste in my mind.
And so I woke up this morning, oblivious to the tears of the previous night. What did I cry about? Oh Boy! Its a long story, but to put it in a nutshell, it is the sorrow of being ignored, being side lined, you know what I mean...
Long ago Lord Tennyson had written- the old order giveth place to the new-loved the lines then, today the practicality of the lines ring a harsh tone.
I always found a strange oneness with the rust colored leaves that cover the ground in autumn. The leaves that were once green and supple to touch, their sprightly dance with the movement of the wind, the intricate pattern of veins that added to the richness of their appearance. Today they lie in a heap on the ground, a jaded orange colour, brittle to touch...I watch a young girl pick up the heap into her gunny bag, probably taking it home to make her hearth burn brighter. Maybe she would add the leaves to her oven over which she would lovingly make fresh bread for her husband...
I smile at the thought that the old too have their use, they too serve a purpose in life...
I look once again at the small wet spot on my pillow. Involuntarily I cover the patch with my palm.Tears? Naah! No tears for me, let me put myself to use to the ones to whose life I do make a difference, my students. With them I am a young girl again, the old rusty leaves of autumn will have to wait, its still spring time!

1 comment:

spicymist said...

ooh kool. so ur a teacher. what do you teach?