Friday, July 25, 2008

shifting relationships

I quickly hide the toy car I had bought from Jordon when I heard Gablu's signature knock on my front door. It was an ordinary little black and white car, the doors would open to expose plush red seats and a beautiful steering wheel. what I most liked about it was it had no fancy mechanism to move, it would make no sound at all and all it needed was a little push and it would move most elegantly forward, and stop with similar elegance. It was Gablu's favourite too, he would want it almost instantly that he came into my living room. not that I did not like giving it to him, I was only worried that in his enthusiasm, he would damage the little toy, I had fond memories associated with almost everything that I got back from Jordan.
Gablu looked at the empty space on the shelf, " you have hidden my car?" he asked with absolute indignation. The present day children are too quick at presumptions. I was foxed for a plausible answer. "Its gone for repair" I told him. He looked at me with disbelief and I was mortified. Not very good at lying, I was most ashamed that I was not even able to convince a child! I humoured him with other toys, but could make out that he yearned for the car. In the evening, I went to his flat with the car. Gablu's delight knew no bounds. He almost grabbed it from my hands and began to play with it, making loud noise with his mouth imitating the fast movement of a racing car. Two days in a row he played with his object of desire. On the third day, when I took the car to his house, his enthusiasm was flagging. He did take it and play with it for a while, but not with the same vigour as before. The fourth day was the same...by the end of the week he barely cast the poor toy a cursory glance. He by now had a new car at hand, my Jordanian car looked any day better than his new one, but he was satiated. He wanted it no more.
A lesson for life, we do it all the time with relationships we make in life, the newness of it may take time to wear out, some cases it may take some years, in some, a few months, a few weeks or even few days! The interest I think lasts for as long as one longs for the person. Once the longing is done, we move on in life, new pastures, new friends , new relationships..
Dont know really if my little Jordanian car nursed a bruised ego as much as a human being would have had under similar circumstances...human hearts hurt very easily, they are fragile, the crack remains long after the pain has numbed.

8 comments:

Fix It said...

So true!
When we most need human beings to be with us in such circumstances, all we derive is some sort of happiness from things that cannot communicate.

Be it a toy or for that matter even a dog. There are things we do not like sharing because their companionship in days of loneliness later becomes our posessiveness towards them.

Manu Akula said...

Hey, just got to your blog through Ruchi's. You write pretty decently.

Unknown said...

A very nice, collected essay. Nostalgic is what I am feeling right now. Btw, found your comment on Manu's blog

Jolly said...

how do I write yo u Maruti, cant access your Blogspot

Unknown said...

:)

My latest blog post is about this issue. I believe that we lose our familiarity with things which are easily or regularly accessible to us. That makes us forget why we enjoyed the thing in the first place.

Well written!

Unknown said...

Hey Jolly, I tagged your blog. Hope you dont mind it. There is some problem with my blog settings and it is not accessible to others, am writing a new blog, anyways, my gtalk ID is marutifromvizag, add me up we can chat sometime

spicymist said...

absolutely true at that. i guess that is why relationships which are not " so perfect" last longer. cos they need work and attention. otherwise after we get what we want, we start taking things for granted which starts the breaking process i guess.

Hep Joan said...

Sure we can keep in touch.
I sent you a friendship request on Orkut. It's for you to accept it. (FYI - You'll not find me on DJs friendlist anymore)